Yes we Cam
NFL: The NFL showed signs of normalcy as the draft got under way at Radio City Music Hall in New York. As expected, the Carolina Panthers took Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton out of Auburn with the first overall pick. Denver used its second pick on Von Miller from Texas A&M. Buffalo selected Marcell Dareus from Alabama with the third pick, while Cincinnati's choice of A.J. Green from Georgia and Arizona's selection of Patrick Peterson from LSU rounded out the top five.
Things to note from the first round:
• Four of the first five picks hailed from the SEC.
• This was the third straight year a quarterback was taken with the No. 1 overall pick.
• Commissioner Roger Goodell was booed by the crowd, which then chanted, "We want football." He responded, "I hear you. So do I." He probably rehearsed that line.
• Former Washington QB Jake Locker went much higher than expected -- to Tennessee at No. 8.
• Former Florida State QB Christian Ponder, who has had trouble staying healthy, still went 12th overall to Minnesota.
NBA: All three playoff contests turned into elimination games. The Los Angeles Lakers moved to the second round after taking out the New Orleans Hornets in six games with a 98-80 victory Thursday night.
The Atlanta Hawks pulled some Magic out of their hats and made Orlando disappear with an 84-81 win in Game 6. It was revenge for the Hawks, as the Magic had eliminated Atlanta from the playoffs just a year ago.
The Dallas Mavericks are headed to the Western Conference semifinals after eliminating the Portland Trail Blazers with a 103-96 win in Game 6.
NHL: In the first game of the Western Conference semifinals, the Vancouver Canucks, the conference's top seed, shut out the Nashville Predators 1-0.